Ji Hyun-woo is a South Korean actor with many talents. Aside from acting, he is also active as a singer and MC. He is known to be able to portray difficult roles perfectly. His popularity skyrocketed after his leading role in the cable TV drama Queen In-hyun’s Man. This role led to his nickname as ‘nation’s younger man’ alongside Jo Jung-suk.
Profile and Facts
Name: Ji Hyun-woo (지현우)
Real name: Joo Hyung Tae (주형태)
Profession: Actor, musician, and model
Birthdate: November 29, 1984
Height: 187 cm
Weight: 74 kg
Blood type: B
Star sign: Sagittarius
Family: Older brother/singer Ji Hyun Soo
Talent agency: Dream Tea Entertainment
Alma mater: Sungkyunkwan University majoring in Performing Arts
Years active: 2003–present
- He is the former lead guitarist of the K-pop group The Nuts. He formed the rock band in 2004 along with Park Joon-shik (vocals) and Kim Hyun-joong (bass).
- Before The Nuts, he started as a session guitarist for the second album of the Korean band Moonchild.
- Ji Hyun-woo officially made his debut as an actor in 2003. But, his popularity increased in 2004 with the sitcom-turned movie Old Miss Diary.
- In 2005, his musical career started to improve. Ji Hyun-woo played Danny Zuko in a Korean staging of the musical Grease, which released its cast recording. He also contributed to the soundtracks of several of his films and television series.
- Until 2011, Ji Hyun-woo appeared in many popular dramas such as Over the Rainbow (2006), Merry Mary (2007), My Sweet Seoul (2008), My Precious You (2008), Invincible Lee Pyung Kang (2009), Becoming a Billionaire (2010), and A Thousand Kisses (2011).
- He also appeared in the films Attack the Gas Station 2 (2009) and Mr. Idol (2011).
- Before his military duty, Ji Hyun-woo was one of the season 2 hosts of Invincible Youth, a variety program with members of popular girl groups experiencing the rural countryside of Korea.
- Ji Hyun-Woo started his mandatory military enlistment on August 7, 2012.
- He was released from his military service on May 6, 2014.
- During his military service, Ji Hyun-woo starred in the military musical The Promise. It was co-produced by the Ministry of National Defense and Korea Musical Theater Association to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the signing of the armistice.
- For his first post-army project, he was cast in the romantic comedy series Trot Lovers as a genius songwriter/musician who helps the heroine become a trot singer despite his distaste for the musical genre.
- This year, he starred in True Fiction, a black comedy that satirizes politicians. Additionally, Ji Hyun-woo is set to return to the small screen with the medical drama Risky Romance.
- In the past, he received much love as the ‘nation’s younger man.’