The Hot Mixed-Race LUNAFLY’s Leader Sam Carter!
Sam Carter, or Sam, is best known for being the leader of LUNAFLY (루나플라이) which now consists of only 2 members (the other member is Yun/Han Seungyun). Before officially debuting as a member of LUNAFLY, he was already well-known by fans as the finalist of MBC’s program Start Audition 2: Birth of a Big Star.
As a K-pop group who just debuted in 2012 under Nega Network (LOEN Entertainment), in 2015, LUNAFLY was already listed as the South Korean group that has performed the most in various countries (32 countries) in Korean music history.
LUNAFLY’s Leader: Sam Carter’s Full Profile
Birth Name: Sam Carter
Stage Name: Sam (샘)
Korean Name: Kim Im-gyu (김임규)
Position: Leader, Vocalist, Guitarist
Birth Place: London, England
Birth Date: October 14, 1987
Zodiac Sign: Libra
Height: 179 cm (5′ 10″)
Weight: 66 Kg
Blood Type: N/A
Additional Skills: Composing
Languages: English (native language), Korean (mother language), Spanish (basic), Japanese, German
Instruments: Guitar, Violin
Agency: Nega Network (LOEN Entertainment)
Fans: “Sammer” (the name was accepted by Sam at the last LUNAFLY SHOOT)
35 Facts About Sam Carter
- He is half Korean, half British. His dad is British and his mom is Korean. His mom was the one who taught him to speak Korean so that he could debut. And, yes, he is the only member that is fluent in English.
- His Korean name is Kim Im-gyu. It was given by his grandfather and means ‘forest’.
- Sam lived in Surrey and Ealing in England. He lived near London Bridge.
- He is a former soccer player from England’s Fulham Youth Soccer team. His career
ended due to injury.
- He said the bravest thing he did is “to only move to Korea to become a singer”. He also once said he missed his family and friends the most after debuting.
- He had bad grades during high school, but he tried hard to correct them. He said he liked school and was especially good at music and sports.
- He worked in a restaurant making sandwiches.
- Sam always wanted to be a singer and use his creative side. As a child, he played the violin and liked writing songs. So, when he was around 7, he realized he wanted to do music.
- He played in an indie band in London. He started playing the guitar when he was around 17-18 years old. He got inspired by The Beatles.
- His superpower is having several arms to be able to play several instruments at the same time.
- Hidden talent: Walking really fast (“I can walk faster than Teo can run”).
- Sam’s mother had a salon named ‘Meori Salon’. And, his brother’s name is James Carter.
- He said the inspiration behind LUNAFLY was when they were looking at the moon and
realized that people look at it with many different emotions and views. They wanted to
express these different emotions and views in their songs.
- He auditioned on MBC’s Star Audition 2: Birth of a Great Star and became the finalist.
- Sam performed a duet song with popular YouTuber Megan Lee with a song titled “Love Sick”.
- He was a DJ on the radio Arirang with Super KPOP.
- First K-pop CD he ever owned was BoA’s No. 1.
- He would like to participate with BoA on We Got Married.
- His celebrity friends are Infinite’s Woohyun, EXO’s Xiumin, and ulzzang model Kim Ah Reum.
- Sam’s shoe size in the UK is 9 and in Korea is 265.
- He wears a medium-size shirt in Korean sizes.
- According to Yun (fellow member) and Teo (former member), Sam likes to nag a lot. And, Sam agreed. They said that Sam is ‘Father of the Group’.
- He is a perfectionist and a workaholic. Yun said he dislikes Sam being a workaholic as Sam could really go on working for long periods of time and Teo jokingly added how Sam would hum tunes even in his sleep. He is also very organized and keeps his things
- The members chose him as the most charismatic of the group.
- He believes that his greatest achievement is having his voice as a ringtone.
- If he were a girl, he would go out with Yun and not go out with Teo because he said
he is too handsome as a boyfriend.
- He can swim.
- During his concert at J’Fest Mexico, he was thrown a bra. He picked it up and put it on
- It got on his nerves once when Teo played a joke by telling him he wanted to leave
- He regularly reads all the mentions of the LUKIEs (LUNAFLY’s fans) on Twitter.
- When Sam was about 14 to 15, he said that he used to practice kissing on oranges.
- When he was asked about where he would kiss a girl first at a fan meeting in Singapore,
he said “There are a lot of places that I can go for. Cheeks for the first date, lips
after five dates, and after 100 days, I will probably ask for hand in marriage”.
- His ideal date would be eating and drinking coffee at a cafe, going to the beach when
it is warm and sunny, sitting by a campfire, and watching movies.
- His ideal type is someone loving and caring.
- His motto: “Work hard, practice hard”.
Sam Carter’s Favorites List
- Sam likes sour lollies.
- He likes to read books and watch movies to relax.
- Sam said he likes koalas.
- He prefers coffee to tea.
- His favorite number is 8 (his and his father’s number in football).
- He loves the smell of freshly cut grass, especially in summer.
- Favorite place in Seoul: Itaewon.
- Favorite city in the world: London.
- If he had an ability, he would want the ability to be able to fly.
- He is a big fan of The Lord of the Rings. His favorite character is Aragorn.
- He is a big fan of Quentin Tarantino, so he loves all his movies.
- He adores the poems by Thomas Hardy.
- He liked to play the works of Brahms when he played the violin.
- If he was given a chance to collaborate with anyone, he would choose Will.I.Am. He really admires him a lot.
- Sam picked The Beatles as his inspiration and mentioned that “Yesterday” and “Let It
Be” are his favorite songs from the legendary band.
- He also likes Snoop Dogg and Jon Bon Jovi’s songs.
- He is a fan of Psy and prefers ‘Gangnam Style’ to ‘Gentleman’.
- “Just the Way You Are” by Bruno Mars is one of his favorite songs to cover. It has
great melodies and vocal harmonies.
- “Clear Day, Cloudy Day” or “How Nice Would It Be” were definitely songs that he
was proud of when he recorded them.
- He once said that his K-pop crushes are Ladies Code, Tahiti, and BoA.
Sam Carter’s TV Programs
- After School Club
- Let’s Go! Dream Team ll (2014.05.03)
- Idol Star Athletics Championship 2014 Football Team D.