I.O.I.- The Dream Girls
I.O.I. or Ideal of Idols is a 11-member girl band from South Korea and is formed from the Produce 101 survival program. Produce 101 is a survival program in which 101 trainees from various leading agencies in South Korea gather to compete with each other to debut as Korean idols. Produce 101 aired in January 21st, 2016 and ended on April 1st, 2016. Of the 101 trainees participating 11 talented members were elected – Nayoung, Pinky, Chungha, Chaeyeon, Somi, Doyeon, Yoojung, Yeonjung, Sohye, Mina, and Sejeong.
They released a single titled Crush on April 5th, 2016 as their pre-debut song, and on May 4th, 2016 I.O.I. officially debuted with the song Dream Girls. In early June, YMC announced the formation the first sub-unit of I.O.I. with members: Nayoung, Chungha, Pinky, Sohye, Yoojung, Doyeon and Somi. Four other members left because of another engagements outside of the I.O.I.- Chaeyeon, returned to her group DIA, Sejeong and Mina, focused their debut with Gugudan and Yeonjung, became the 13th member of Cosmic Girls (WJSN). The first unit finally released a single called Whatta Man (Good Man) on August 9th, 2016. In the end I.O.I.’s wasn`t renewed and they disbanded on January 31st, 2017.
The Reason Why I.O.I. Disbanded
In 2016, the Produce 101 survival event was in great demand and managed to form a group with 11 female members named I.O..I, they debuted on May 4th, 2016 and were only on one year contract with the YMC Entertainment and they officially disbanded on January 31st, 2017.
The finalists were from different agencies and after the official I.O.I. disband each of them returned to their agencies and perform promotions, solo-debuts or joining a previously existing groups.
Many of the facts behind the I.O.I. group and the dissolution of the group are listed below. Keep reading to find out more!
1. Different Agencies
The eleven members of the IOI are a combination of some of South Korea’s leading agencies, such as:
Somi who is a JYP Entertainment trainee, Kim Chungha from M&H Entertainment, Nayoung and Pinky from Pledis Entertainment, Kim Sejeong and Kang Mina from Jellyfish Entertainment, Choi Yoojung and Kim Doyeon from Fantagio, Yeonjung from Starship Entertainment, Jung Chaeyeon from MBK Entertainment , and Kim Sohye from S&P Entertainment.
While they were members of the I.O.I some of them ware also busy with promotions with their other respective girl-bands. Like Chaeyeon who kept promoting with DIA, Sejeong and Mina that debuted with Gugudan, and Yeonjung with WJSN (Cosmic Girls).
2. The Sub-Unit
YMC Entertainment formed the first sub-unit of I.O.I. composed of Nayoung, Pinky, Doyeon, Yoojung, Chungha, Sohye, and Somi. They debuted with the title song Whatta Man.
Their concept this time was not cute and innocent like Dream Girls, this time they were more daring, sexy and elegant, with this concept the sub-unit of I.O.I. was able to steal the attention of the Internet population, because now their appearance looked more mature.
3. First Win with Very Very Very
The last victory of I.O.I. as a complete formation was on October 26th, 2016. They promoted their last song before breaking up that was with title Very Very Very. The members were unable to hold back their tears, because they knew that shortly after that they are gonna be splitting up.
4. Different Groups
As we mentioned before most of the members come from different agencies and some have other bands
- Yeonjung, she officially became the 13th member of the girl group WJSN or Cosmic Girls managed by STARSHIP Entertainment and took the main vocal position in the group. Yeonjung debuted with WJSN with a song called “Secret”. During the show Produce 101, Yeonjung was known as The Next of Hyolyn. She managed to steal the attention of the Internet with the performance of the song Into the New World performed by SNSD or Girls Generation, she managed to take the high notes sung by Taeyeon, and that won her the title of a vocalist with very beautiful voice.
- Sejeong and Mina. During I.O.I.’s sub-unit promotion with Whatta Man, they were busy with their group named Gugudan managed by Jellyfish Entertainment.
- Chayeon whose main focus was her leadership role in the girl group DIA under MBK Entertainment.
As Yeonjung, Sejeong, Mina, and Chaeyeon were busy with their own careers the YMC Entertainment decided to create the sub-unit to promote the other members.
5. Only One-Year Contract
Since its creation in January 2016 YMC Entertainment said that I.O.I. will only last for one year and will be disbanded in early 2017.
Although some fans disagreed and hoped YM Entertainment will extend the I.O.I. contract, still the official I.O.I .broke up on January 31st, 2017 and Very Very Very became their last song.
“We are so loved and we are so close, every member has thought to say goodbye to each other, it’s hard to describe with words, but I hope we end up well, I’m proud of all the members who have been working hard inside and outside I.O.I.”, Im Nayoung said.
“Instead of thinking of this as our last release, we promised each other that we would just be making a new album.” Jung Chaeyeon said.
“We have revealed this in another show, but we have promised to reunite in five years,” said Jeon Somi.
6. Somi Join TWICE?
Many rumors arouse that after I.O.I.’s disband, Jeon Somi will be the 10th member of TWICE.
Please check below some reasons why this was a possibility:
- Somi cannot make a solo-debut because the vocals he has are not that good.
- Somi does not have any other trainees in JYP Entertainment to debut with her.
- She can not debut as an actress because Somi needs to train harder, if he decides to swerve into the acting world. In addition, Somi has a foreign face that makes it less suitable to be the main character as a traditional Korean woman.
- Somi already has many fans. It can not be denied that being part of the I.O.I. has boosted her popularity. Now, this young JYP girl has a huge fan base, both local and international. The Fans and followers of Somi can be very useful for TWICE and JYP in terms of endorsement and album releases.
- Jeon Somi has a role she can play in TWICE. Similar to Dahyun, Somi is quite energetic and has a cheerful personality, in contrast to the image of the other mostly shy and innocent TWICE members. In addition, Jeon Somi is a good friend of TWICE’s maknae – Song Chaeyoung.
7. Nayoung and Pinky Focus with Pristin
Nayoung and Pinky are from Pledis Entertainment. After I.O.I. declared dissolution, Pledis Entertainment formed a girl group named Pristin with ten members and some of them were from I.O.I.
Pristin officially debuted on March 21st, 2017 with the title song We Like. Nayong, Pinky, Eunwoo, Xiyeon who previously came from Produce 101 became permanent members of Pristin.
8. Chungha Focusing with Her Solo Career
Kim Chungha’s dancing and vocal abilities deserved praise, even Chungha managed to stole netizens’ attention on the 1st Produce 101 episode where all trainees showed their dancing and singing abilities in front of other trainees. At that time Chungha showed her dancing skills and managed amaze all other trainees and mentors.
Chungha also made her own choreography for the dance of the BangBang song. Everyone was fascinated by Chungha’s choreography, even Kahi who was then a mentor was not be able to make such choreography.
After I.O.I. broke up, Chungha focused on a solo career. She officially debuted in June 2017 with the title song Why Dont You Know and cameback in January 2018 with the title song Roller Coaster. The surprising thing behind Chungha’s debut and comeback was that she herself made the choreography of the song.