Get to Know BLACKPINK
The K-pop industry never fails to release brand new artists from K-pop solo singers to K-pop groups. One of the biggest K-pop female girl groups nowadays is BLACKPINK which consists of Jisoo, Jennie, Rose, and Lisa.
Ever since the group’s debut, BLACKPINK has drawn attention due to its unique music and visuals from the members. They even released various collaborations with international musicians as well. To give you more insight about BLACKPINK, Channel Korea will reveal to you 25 facts about BLACKPINK that you need to know!
BLACKPINK Members’ Ages
BLACKPINK is known as a girl group under YG Entertainment that made its debut in 2016. The group consists of four members who have a lot of talents and charms. Moreover, the age gap between the members isn’t too far since they were born around 1995 to 1998 and are currently in their 20s. The oldest is Jisoo, and the youngest is Lisa.
|BLACKPINK Member||Date of Birth||Age in 2021|
|Kim Ji-soo||January 3, 1995||26|
|Kim Jennie||January 16, 1996||25|
|Roseanne Park||February 11, 1997||24|
|Lalisa Manoban||March 27, 1997||24|
How Were BLACKPINK’s Members Found?
1. Jennie went back to South Korea after she studied abroad in New Zealand for several years to pursue a music career. She went to YG Entertainment‘s audition since she had always desired to train under the agency. She officially signed as a trainee in August 2010.
2. Lisa joined YG Entertainment’s audition in Thailand back in 2010. With her skills, Lisa became the only person who passed the audition that year. She signed as a trainee in April 2011.
3. Jisoo joined an audition from YG Entertainment and successfully got selected as a trainee in July 2011. Back then, Jisoo was also scouted by a casting agent from SM Entertainment. However, she turned the offer down since she was already signed with YG Entertainment.
4. Rosé joined an open audition in Australia from YG Entertainment after her father heard about it in 2012. Then, she got the first position and signed as a trainee in May 2012.
BLACKPINK’s Debut Facts
5. YG Entertainment announced the final lineup and name of the group, BLACKPINK, on June 29, 2016.
6. BLACKPINK became the first girl group under YG Entertainment 7 years after 2NE1’s debut.
7. Before choosing BLACKPINK as the group’s name, they were initially named PINK PUNK.
8. BLACKPINK is the first and only group under YG Entertainment without a leader. The CEO didn’t choose a leader at that time because all of BLACKPINK’s members were close friends with each other.
9. BLACKPINK debuted with the single album Square One on August 8, 2016. The album consisted of the title track “Whistle” and the second title track “Boombayah.”
10. BLACKPINK got its first win at SBS’ Inkigayo and broke the record for the shortest time to win on a music program. They won only 14 days after the group’s debut.
BLACKPINK’s Albums and Singles
11. BLACKPINK released the group’s second single album Square Two on November 1, 2016, and it consists of two singles, “Stay” and “Playing With Fire.”
12. In June 2017, BLACKPINK released its digital single and its music video entitled “As If It’s Your Last.”
13. Only 17 hours after its release, the music video for “As If It’s Your Last” got over 11 million views, becoming the fastest music video to exceed 11 million views by a K-pop group.
14. In June 2018, BLACKPINK released its first Korean mini-album Square Up which consists of two title tracks, “Ddu-du Ddu-du” and “Forever Young.”
15. In October 2018, BLACKPINK surprised fans by releasing the first international collaboration single “Kiss and Make Up” with the British singer and songwriter Dua Lipa.
16. Kill This Love appeared as the group’s second mini-album and was released in April 2019. The title track is “Kill This Love,” and “Don’t Know What To Do” appeared as the sub-title track.
17. BLACKPINK finally released the first Korean studio album The Album in 2020. In the same year, they also had a single collaboration with Lady Gaga through “Sour Candy” and with Selena Gomez through “Ice Cream.”
Other Facts About BLACKPINK
18. BLACKPINK is the only girl group under YG Entertainment after 2NE1 disbanded.
19. All the members in BLACKPINK are tall with an average height of 162 cm to 168 cm which exceeds the average height of South Korean women.
20. After the group participated in the music festival Coachella in the United States back in 2019, BLACKPINK’s popularity increased rapidly in the United States.
21. The group also released their documentary movie BLACKPINK: LIGHT UP THE SKY in October 2020 followed by BLACKPINK THE MOVIE in August 2021.
22. Each BLACKPINK member has become a global ambassador for luxury brands, as in Jennie (Chanel, HERA Beauty), Lisa (CELINE, MAC Cosmetics, Bvlgari), Jisoo (Dior), and Rosé (Saint Laurent, YSL Beauty).
23. BLACKPINK: LIGHT UP THE SKY ranked in 3rd place and made it as the world’s most viewed female artist documentary.
24. BLACKPINK members also have solo activity records. Jennie has released a solo single titled “SOLO” (2018). Rosé has released a solo album titled -R- (2021). Lisa has released a solo album titled LALISA (2021). Meanwhile, Jisoo made her acting debut through the Snowdrop drama in 2021.
25. BLACKPINK became the first K-pop female girl group to perform at the music festival Coachella.
That’s 25 facts about BLACKPINK to make you get to know the girl group better! Ever since the group’s debut to its current stage, BLACKPINK always finds a way to amaze us, right? So, who is your bias from BLACKPINK? Reveal your answer through the comment section below, and don’t forget to share this article on your social media!