How Well Do You Know SEVENTEEN?
SEVENTEEN — also stylized as SVT, is a South Korean boy group under Pledis Entertainment who debuted on May 26th 2015 with their title track “Adore You”. The group consists of 13 members who are separated into 3 sub-units, each with different areas of specialization: a ‘Hip-Hop Unit‘ (S.coups, Wonwoo, Mingyu, Vernon), ‘Vocal Unit‘ (Jeonghan, Joshua, Woozi, DK, Seungkwan), and ‘Performance Unit‘ (Jun, Hoshi, THE8, Dino). But did you know that back in 2013, Pledis launched a TV show called “SEVENTEEN TV” and actually introduced 17 members as trainees of SVT? Have you ever wondered who were the people that were supposed to debut with the current 13 members? Here we are going to find out about SVT’s predebut facts and moments, so let’s check out the following details below!
- Lets Get Funny with Seventeen Memes
- Full Profile of Kara Members (Name, Age, Height, Weight and Facts)
- Alphabat 1st Mini Album: Attention
SEVENTEEN Pre-Debut Members
SVT had a total of 7 lineup changes before their fixed debut. The most members SVT had at one time was 16 members, which means there have been 17 members in total.
|Date (YYMMDD)||Generation Number||Changes||Generation Lineup|
|130410||Generation 2||Add-ons Seungcheol and Doyoon|| |
|130417||Generation 3||Add-on Jisoo|| |
|130610||Generation 4||(Officially) Add-on Dongjin|| |
|130618||Generation 5||Add-on Junghan|| |
|130725||Generation 6||Subtracted Samuel|| |
|140711||Generation 7||Add-on Myungho|
Subtracted Doyoon and Mingming
(Official Debut Date)
|Subtracted Dongjin|| |
1. Seungcheol (S.Coups)
Pre-Debut Members Profile
1. Jang Doyoon
Birth Name : Jang Doyoon (장도윤)
Stage Name / Nickname : Doyoon / DD
Birthday : August 31st, 1995 (Virgo)
Height / Weight : 180cm / 63kg
Blood Type : O
Hometown / Nationality : Busan, South Korea / Korean
Current Occupation : Actor
- Doyoon previously attended the School Of Performing Arts (SOPA). He graduated on February 13th, 2014.
- He has one sister named Eunkyung who is 2 years older than him (born in 1993). His family has four members.
- Doyoon became a Pledis trainee sometime in 2011, most likely after his SBS audition. He was trained under Pledis Entertainment for three years and was one of the original Pledis Boys with JR, Aron, BaekHo, Ren, and MinHyun of NU’EST, and S.Coups of SVT.
- He was formerly a member of “Tempest” before SVT was created.
- He is called “The Male Lizzy” and “The Next Jung Yonghwa”.
- His hobby is playing tennis.
- He is a picky eater and doesn’t like veggies.
- He revealed in an interview with SNL, that he has no regrets in not pursuing an idol career as a member of the group SVT because he wanted to be an actor in the first place.
1. Because I Love You | Saranghagi Ttaemoone (2017) – Jung Yo-Seb
2. Hiya (2016) – Ho-Won
Drama Series :
1. Drinking Solo | Honsoolnamnyeo (tvN / 2016) – High School Schoolmate (Cameo)
2. The Good Wife (tvN / 2016)
3. The Promise | Cheonsangui Yaksok (KBS2 / 2016) – Park Hwi-Kyung (Young)
4. All About My Mom | Bootakhaeyo Eomma (KBS2 / 2015-2016) – Park Seung-Wan
5. Bird That Doesn’t Cry | Woolji Anneun Sae (tvN / 2015) – Oh Min-Gi
TV Movies :
1. Drama Special: Happy! Rose Day (KBS2 / 2013) – Jin-Ho
2. Yao Ming Ming
Birth Name : Yao Mingming (姚明明)
Stage Name / Nickname : Ming Ming / Mr. White Earmuffs
Birthday : January 5th, 1997 (Capricorn)
Height / Weight : 180cm / 60kg
Blood Type : B
Hometown / Nationality : Yangquan, Shanxi, China / Chinese
Current Occupation : A trainee under Checkmate Entertainment
- He is now a part of a new group ACEMAX BLK’s (pronounced Ace Max Black) as a rapper that will debut sometime in 2017.
- Mingming has one older brother and is believed to have a sister. His family consists of his mother, father, older brother and maybe a sister.
- He became a Pledis trainee sometime between February 2012 and June 2012, training for about 2 years before his departure in 2014.
- His favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate.
Motto : “Success will be mine, if I overcome.”
3. Shin Dongjin
Birth Name : Shin Dongjin (신동진)
Stage Name : Dongjin
Birthday : August 19th, 2000 (Leo)
Height / Weight : 170cm / 50kg
Blood Type : A
Hometown / Nationality : Incheon, South Korea / Korean
- Dongjin has one younger brother.
- Dongjin participated in Seventeen’s Season 2 Music Friends. It is unknown if he was a trainee at Pledis before joining the program. He became a trainee in 2013, after the Music Friends show.
- Once, he got first place in a model contest.
- He was a handball player at his elementary school.
- Pledis reported that after his departure, he returned home to continue his studies.
4. Kim Samuel
Birth Name : Samuel Arredondo Kim a.k.a Kim Samuel (김사무엘)
Stage Name : Samuel
Birthday : January 17th, 2002 (Capricorn)
Height / Weight : 172cm / 42kg
Blood Type : A
Birthplace / Nationality : Los Angeles, California / American
Current Occupation : A singer under Brave Entertainment
- He was born to a Korean mother and a Mexican father.
- He speaks Korean, English and Spanish.
- His keepsake is a dragon ring that he always wears.
- Samuel’s favorite TV show is Spongebob Squarepants.
- His favorite color is green although it used to be blue.
- He doesn’t like to eat onions.
- His favorite subject in school was physical education.
- His favorite artists are Chris Brown and Justin Bieber.
- Among Korean idols, he admires Kai from EXO.
- Samuel’s ideal type is someone who is pretty and nice with a good body.
- Samuel debuted as a solo artist on August 2nd, 2017.
SEVENTEEN Debut Date
SVT finally debuted on May 26th, 2015 after 4 years of preparation with the fixed 13 members. They were the first male K-pop group to debut with a one-hour live showcase on a major broadcasting channel, with labelmates Lizzy and Raina from After School serving as MCs. They held a debut showcase in Ilsan and held a press meeting. There, the group declared their goal to win the “Rookie Awards” that year.
With the title song “Adore U“, the debut track was described as a funky pop song about a teenage boy trying to navigate puppy love. The song marks the beginning of the group’s trilogy and represents a boy meeting a girl. The song was critically acclaimed charting high with various reviews noting Seventeen as the group to watch in 2015.
SEVENTEEN Pre-Debut Photos
SEVENTEEN Pre-Debut Show
The boys’ journey from trainee days was captured on “Seventeen TV”, so in a way they were in their 3rd year when they debuted officially. There were 5 seasons of Seventeen TV in total, including concerts called “Like Seventeen” in the 4th & 5th season.
Pledis Entertainment representatives told allkpop, that they opened up SEVENTEEN TV as a unique marketing approach to presenting the country’s biggest idol group ever. Through the show, fans will be able to see the training process and the day-to-day activities of the members through a CCTV installed in their rehearsal room for live streaming on USTREAM. Everything about SEVENTEEN’s production process leading up to their debut is available to view.
The first official broadcast of TV Seventeen happened in January 2013 (however, in late 2012 they did a Christmas special). In the early part of this season, the names of the members who participated were not known, so they were called by nicknames according to something that they carried.
The members who appeared on the show are including Mingyu, Jun, Seungkwan, Woozi, Wonwoo, Hoshi, Vernon, Dino, DK, MingMing, and Samuel.
In the second season, the 11 members from the previous season continued, and 4 more were added: Seungcheol (S.Coups), Doyoon, Joshua, and Dongjin. This season, they began to prepare for the first “Like Seventeen” concert, and so were separated into teams that were differentiated by the color of the shirts they wore. The season included the fresh segment ‘Seventeen’s Finding Music Friends’ which will feature the boys undergoing singing and dancing lessons with members of the public.
Early in the third season, a new member, Jeonghan, joined. And after a while, Samuel left for undisclosed reasons. During this season, they participated in missions where the public voted for their favorite member via the official website, and the most voted would compose the “tracklist” for Like Seventeen 2.
The new segments, ‘Seventeen News’ and ‘What’s Up Seventeen’, gave fans the inside scoop on what is going on in the lives of the flower boys members.
The group continued to take fans through their training sessions for their upcoming debut next year. Like the previous season, the boys held a concert, ‘Like Seventeen’, to be held at Ilchi Art Hall on November 23. No member joined or left during the fourth season.
What makes this season different is its new format, which involves the members going head-to-head during the concert. Fans got to vote for their favorite member through an online poll as well as at the concert.
During the hiatus of Seventeen TV, two members left, Doyoon and Mingming (without stated reasons, but possibly eliminated through a “secret trial”); there was the entry of a new member, THE8. Unlike other seasons, the fifth season started with a show, in order to display the evolution of the members’ skills during the time gap. With only 7 episodes, two of them recorded shows, Seventeen officially closed the TV show with greater interaction with the fans, because for one hour they live chatted with fans via Ustream’s chat.
This season also had votes for the Like Seventeen 4, but was not based on missions only on the name of music.
SEVENTEEN Pre-Debut Member : Kim Samuel
As previously stated, Kim Samuel a.k.a Samuel is now a solo singer under Brave Entertainment. He is best known for his appearances in pre-debut footage of Seventeen TV, as “Punch” in duo 1PUNCH, and for his participation in MNET’s survival show Produce 101 Season 2.
Samuel made his first appearances to the public aged eleven, when he appeared on the live broadcast series Seventeen TV as a trainee, but then he left Pledis Entertainment in 2013 due to personal reasons and transferred to Brave Entertainment in 2016.
In 2015, Samuel debuted with ONE in a hip-hop duo called 1Punch under the stage name Punch. But the group revealed to have disbanded after 8 months because ONE got scouted by YG Entertainment.
He was also a contestant on Produce 101 Season 2 but was eliminated in the final round. During the first elimination, he was ranked 2nd, but did not make the final cut for the 11-member team, finally ranking 18th overall.
He has been on quite the journey and essentially lived through multiple lifetimes’ worth of struggles, despite his very young age. It almost goes without saying that Samuel is an incredible dancer. His years of training show when he’s dancing on stage, and he has an incredible charisma on top of that. He truly is a well-rounded performer. Be sure to check his debut MV below!